> From: Stephen Caine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> In either case though, changing the ratio had a dramatic
> effect on our 'out of memory' problems.  Any insights as
> to why?

I can only speculate that reducing the size of the NewGen area (due to
the larger value of NewRatio) forced more frequent collections of
recently allocated objects, thereby eliminating some class object
references.  Without knowing a lot more about your applications and
doing some detailed measurement, that has to be taken with a large chunk
of salt.

By the way, the default value of NewRatio in the 1.5 JVM is platform
dependent:

-client mode
   IA32      12
   Sparc     8