Regarding the Petshop, there was a great deal of discussion about it on TSS
a few months ago.

In fact, apparently, the petshop on the Java side wasn't designed to be
efficient, just a show case. Which, we agree, is quite a shame.

However, further points where disturbing :
- versions of the databases' drivers were different. In the case of the JDBc
driver it was an old one.
- the choice of the databases is also crucial in such cironcstance, and it
wasn't fully transparent either.

On the .Net side they did devote a whole team to improve the code. To be
fair, they told the TSS crowd they would make any change deemed necessary
(by the TSS crowd) to the Java petShop code, but the issues above, about the
databases, remained unsolved.

All in all, I consider it quite hard to judge with this example.

But, as usual, it's just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers,
 ZedroS