On Fri, January 27, 2006 8:11 am, David Smith said:
> I will say I have used their products to develop solutions in the past
> and it's ... well ... interesting.  The stuff works well when you know
> how to use it.  Unfortunately I found their docs no where near the
> quality of Tomcat or Java which prolonged development on something that
> should have been extremely simple.

Wow, I've had just the opposite experience with their stuff.  Especially
in terms of documentation, I've always found MSDN to be some of the best
documentation around, generally far superior to most open-source
documentation (my guess is they have some generally non-technical editors
looking it over... I can't imagine that quality of writing came from
techies!)  I will say though that they do tend to be a little short on
examples, something open-source tends to have a lot more of.

I think it's a difference in culture behind it... MS is coming from a more
"professional", business-like approach, and in that mindset writing
documentation takes on more importance.  In the open-source world, there's
much more of the "here's an example, go look at it and learn" kind of
mentality.  I'm not making a judgment on which is better, I think they
both have their pluses and minuses, just pointing out what I see as a
difference.

> Also the whole C#/aspx design is
> centered around events just like Windows itself which I find just a
> little disconcerting.  Not a problem if you're already familiar with
> programming in Access.  I would prefer a cleaner, more visible flow.

I'm not sure where the Access analogy comes in, but I do agree in that if
you haven't done much with the event-driven model before then it can be a
little disconcerting.  I think we're seeing the same thing in the Java
space with JSF right now... it's a basically event-driven model (they call
it component-oriented, but it's in many ways the same thing), and this is
somewhat new to many... ASP.Net is like bringing Windows programming to
the web, whereas JSF is like bringing Swing to the web... imperfect
analogies I suppose, but close enough :)

Frank