On 25.07.2013 17:14, srinivas yelamanchili wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed Apache Httpd 2.4.6 and Tomcat 7.0.42 from source code (.tar.gz)
> on Redhat Linux and looking for documentation to enable AJP and connect
> Tomcat with Httpd using AJP/APR
>
> I have the following questions (and please let me know where I can post the
> same if this email group is the not the correct place) :
>
> 1. The 'Tomcat Connectors JK 1.2' Binary Releases at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi
>
> only seem to be available for Windows (and not for Redhat Linux).
> Aren't there any binary releases for unix based systems?

They are very easy to build on Linux. Since there are so many
distributions we currently do not provide "official" binaries.

> 2. The following documentation seem outdated, has references to Tomcat
> 3,4,5.5,6 but not 7.
> has references to Httpd 2.x in general and 2.2 specific but nothing specific
> to 2.4
>
> The Apache Tomcat Connector - Webserver HowTo
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc-archive/jk2/jk/aphowto.html
>
> 'Tomcat 7' doesn't appear under the 'Supported Configuration' section
> With Tomcat 7 could the means of using and configuring JK been updated or
> enhanced?

I added TC 7 to the docs right now. That was an oversight. mod_jk and
AJP was supported there from day 1 (as will TC 8 be once it gets released).

Note that the jk2 docs are in the doc-archive. jk2 is a variant that is
out of support since many years. Only use mod_jk, not mod_jk2.

> The Tomcat 7 doc mentions JK 1.2.x though
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html
>
> 3. Under 'Obtaining mod_jk' section of the 'Webserver HowTo' page
> "If the binary is not available, follow the instructions for building mod_jk
> from source"
>
> Where are the instructions?

I added a hint to the docs. It's on the same page futher down in the
seciotns starting with "Building mod_jk".

> 4. Can the documentation pages have timestamp of 'last modified'?

Not really. The docs published on the web site always belong to the
latest mod_jk release, currently version 1.2.37. The starting page

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/

contains the date of the release prominently.

The official repository for the docs sources is

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/jk/trunk/xdocs/

or when using svn directly

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/jk/trunk/xdocs/

There you can always check the latest dates and the full change history.

The changes I applied right now based on your advice are

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1507026

Since they are not critical they will be pushed to the public web site
once we release version 1.2.38.

Thanks for haring your observations.

Regards,

Rainer