On 29.07.2013 17:26, Nicholas Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>>> If it's a resources limitation, I have a publicly-accessible
>>> TeamCity server with an unlimited OpenSource license hosting
>>> Windows 7, Mac OS X SLeopard/Lion/MLion, Debian, RedHat, and SuSE
>>> agents that I would be happy to donate some resources from. It's
>>> not very busy and would have plenty of time to run CI, SNAPSHOT,
>>> and RC builds for all of the platforms.
>>
>> No, the problem is that there are so many different combinations of
>> platform, environment, etc. that it would represent an explosion of
>> options that would never meet everyone's needs.
>>
>> Building mod_jk just isn't that difficult. The only legitimate
>> complaint that I have heard is that most responsible admins don't have
>> a build chain available on a production server. We solve that by
>> building on a test server and pushing the binaries out to our
>> production servers. Others may do other things.
>>
>> I do know that Debian-based distros of Linux can install the
>> "libapache2-mod-jk" package, though it is often out-of-date with
>> respect to the currently-available version. Inexplicably, Red Hat does
>> not provide mod_jk binaries through their package manager. I'm not
>> sure about Suse and others.
>
> Understood. I don't know about others, but SuSE DOES provide mod_jk in
> their package manager. That's how I installed it. Even so, it's rarely
> even close to up-to-date. Usually about a year or two behind.

We had times where we did provide some Linux binaries. Development for
mod_jk has slowed down, many distributions contain a reasonable version
of it and no one in the team is really interested in providing binaries
so it wasn't a priority. It surely is a mixture of time and technical
resources but probably even more we don't feel it's an important itch to
scratch.

I wouldn't oppose if someone stood up and wanted to provide binaries,
but it should be someone in our web of trust, because we can't validate
binaries we get from outside. So we don't want to officially distribute
contributed binaries.

If there were such a person, she might happily comeback to your offer
concerning build platforms though the ASF has quite a few build servers
as well.

Regards,

Rainer