It's primarily for App Isolation.
The other is that I'm trying to keep the modifiable elements to a minimum, so
that someone not completely versed in Tomcat can do a setup if I'm not
available.
Essentially, I have a predefined with <Service> tree that can be copied to a
server.xml and only need to modify 7 values, 2 IP address fields, and 2
hostname fields, and engine name, a service name, and an appbase.  The way I
have it setup right now, you enter the same value for the last 3 entries in
that list to make it easy to manage at the file system level.
And by keeping it compact, it makes that move I mentioned easy, since all the
elements are together in the server.xml (as opposed to <Connectors> being in
one location and <Hosts> in another.
Jeff