Hi Leo,
I may be the only person on this list who does this consistently.
I use it as an alternative method of virtual hosting, i.e. each host gets its
own <Service> and related sub-structure.
The real reason?  The default host has to be set to something, and I don't want
to maintain some generic host to catch those that come in.  Since I'm running
an SaaS environment, really more ASP, a business requirement is that each host
appear to the outside world as a unique physical host, so two customers don't
get the same IP address. I could add <Alias> tags for the IP address and all
know variations of the hostname, but there's nothing to keep some yahoo admin
at a customer site from configuring a DNS entry on an internal DNS server with
some name I'm not expecting.  Therefore, each <Engine> in each <Service> gets a
defaultHost entry pointing to its one and only <Host> entry.
As an added benefit, if I find I need to move a customer from a shared Tomcat
setup to a unique Tomcat, all I need to do is set up a new blank Tomcat and
move the <Service> structure from one Tomcat to another. Naturally, there's
more work needed if I find I need to give them their own physical server, but
that's to be expected.  In general, not counting any hardware setup, I can move
a host to another tomcat instance with < 2 minutes downtime.
Jeff