Jeffrey,

On 3/10/14, 10:26 AM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Leo Donahue
>> [mailto:donahu...@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 9:44
>> AM To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: The Service Component
>>
>> Who uses more than one Service in their server.xml and why?  I
>> get that you can have multiple Connectors if you have multiple
>> Service components but why use multiple connectors?
>>
>> Are there any docs on the use cases for these features?
>>

> Hi Leo, I may be the only person on this list who does this
> consistently. I use it as an alternative method of virtual hosting,
> i.e. each host gets its own <Service> and related sub-structure.
> The real reason?  The default host has to be set to something, and
> I don't want to maintain some generic host to catch those that come
> in.  Since I'm running an SaaS environment, really more ASP, a
> business requirement is that each host appear to the outside world
> as a unique physical host, so two customers don't get the same IP
> address. I could add <Alias> tags for the IP address and all know
> variations of the hostname, but there's nothing to keep some yahoo
> admin at a customer site from configuring a DNS entry on an
> internal DNS server with some name I'm not expecting.  Therefore,
> each <Engine> in each <Service> gets a defaultHost entry pointing
> to its one and only <Host> entry.

I'm interested in this use case.

Since you have to maintain a <Connector> for every IP address already,
how is that different from having a single <Connector> with a bunch of
<Alias> elements? How are those different? Or is it that you need
application isolation in the first place, so this is the best way to
do it in a single JVM?

> As an added benefit, if I find I need to move a customer from a
> shared Tomcat setup to a unique Tomcat, all I need to do is set up
> a new blank Tomcat and move the <Service> structure from one Tomcat
> to another. Naturally, there's more work needed if I find I need to
> give them their own physical server, but that's to be expected.  In
> general, not counting any hardware setup, I can move a host to
> another tomcat instance with < 2 minutes downtime.

Nice.