On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> It is particularly nice to know that it works, and that the <Service>
> element really (apparently) corresponds to "something real" at the Tomcat
> level.  So it is apparently not just an "element of order" allowing to
> group Connectors with Engine.
> Which is contrary to what I imagined, and which I believe definitely
> answers the original OP's question (at least the first part).

Yes, question answered.

So some use the multiple <Service> in server.xml for app isolation or in
place of virtual hosting.

Mr. Janner indicates he has to modify 7 values in his server.xml  I guess I
have that many as well.

I also find this is needed if running multiple instances of Tomcat but I
don't want to change the subject of this thread.

I have to change the following in server.xml when I add more Tomcat
instances or upgrade:

server shutdown port
connector port for HTTP
connector port for AJP
realm org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm if digesting passwords in
tomcat-users.xml
host appbase (optional depending on config)
valve org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve (optional depending where
you like the root log to go)
cleaning up all the comments...

My down time is minimal, but I find I do "some" prep work before I remove
the old windows service and install the new.  My down time consists of the
time it takes to take one instance down and start the new one, and maybe 20
min of prep work glarring at the server.xml to make sure I didn't miss some
configuration.