Leo,

On 3/10/14, 5:10 PM, Leo Donahue wrote:
> I have to change the following in server.xml when I add more
> Tomcat instances or upgrade:
>
> server shutdown port connector port for HTTP connector port for
> AJP realm org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm if digesting
> passwords in tomcat-users.xml host appbase (optional depending on
> config) valve org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve (optional
> depending where you like the root log to go) cleaning up all the
> comments...

I script all of this with ant. Since I segment all of my web
applications into separate JVM/Tomcat instances, I just need:

1. An appBase
2. A shutdown port
3. A "normal" port (usually AJP)
4. (optional) a loopback-only port for privileged applications that
want to access my instance locally without HTTPS, load-balancing, etc.

We have multiple devs using the same shared development environment,
so everyone has an "app a" and "app b", and so on.

We create a parameterized server.xml file that basically says <Server
shutdown=${tomcat-shutdown-port}">, etc. and then ant takes a
user-specific configuration file and builds the configuration on the fly.

To deploy a new Tomcat instance, we just clone a started-project, give
it a name (in Ant's <project name="..."> attribute) and it picks-up
the configuration from this user-config file.

$ ant install tomcat-start

That's all it takes us to build a properly-configured CATALINA_BASE,
install the web application under development and launch Tomcat. I've
been using this setup for over 10 years at this point, and it's been
fantastic.