Randir,

On 4/8/14, 5:05 AM, Randhir Singh wrote:
> We have an application which has JBoss as the application server
> with Tomcat as the web server, our application has Oracle 11g as
> the database. I would give some further background to the issue we
> are facing, since the last 1 1/2 months, the application slows
> down. Sometimes it comes back to normal, specially on week-ends.
> But other times we restart JBoss & Tomcat to bring back the
> application to normal.
>
> We have been using jconsole to monitor tomcat like
>
> jconsole 10.101.17.79:8891
>
> which monitors our tomcat for a work order system. If the memory
> usage does not show spike and shows constant reading, the GC button
> is clicked to invoke the garbage collector.

You should really never have to invoke the gc yourself. It gc isn't
working properly by itself, you have a big problem.

> I checked out on the net and got some clue as below:
>
> 1)      Javamelody - It seems to be a 3rd party tool which is not
> recommended.

Javamelody is just fine. What makes you think it's not "recommended"?

> 2)      There is a command mentioned to see the admin console,
> http://<IP:port>/ but it is not displaying the required page.
>
> Please give your inputs whether jconsole should be a help in the
> right direction or some other way to monitor the performance of
> Tomcat.

I suspect there's no chance you are in Denver for ApacheCon right now,
are you? I'm giving a presentation on it tomorrow. I'll post the
slides later in the afternoon MDT.