Randir,

On 5/5/14, 6:07 AM, Randhir Singh wrote:
> Thanks Chris for your answer.
>
> I researched a lot and want to try out an option for OOME:
>
> The JAVA_OPTS variable in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh has the
> value as:

You should use CATALINA_OPTS. Read the comments at the top of
bin/catalina.sh to see what the difference is.

Also, you should set these environment variables in bin/setenv.sh
(which you may have to create) instead of modifying startup.sh
directly. It will make upgrades much easier.

> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1303m -Xmx1303m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
> -Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"
>
> I checked for free space on the VM instance with Red Hat Linux as
> the OS on which the Tomcat is hosted with a total memory of 19 GB,
> I found that there is around 8 GB of free space in the server.

8GiB free memory or disk?

> I am planning to increase the memory allocation for Heap size and
> PermGen size to almost double as below:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
> -Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"
>
> I hope, this should avoid the hang-up issues where Tomcat does not
> seem to respond. I plan to implement this in the UAT environment at
> first and see how it goes.

If the problem is GC-related, then the only conditions under which
things will improve by increasing memory are if you were running right
under the heap ceiling you had imposed upon yourself and GC had to run
a lot in order to keep up. Remember that GC-time is related to the
number of useful references in the heap, so if you have a large heap
with lots of long-lived objects, GC will work "harder" (to a point,
with generational GC).

> There is another thing I wanted to try. We have RHEL 5.8 Beta
> (Tikanga) version and lot of updates from Red Hat are pending which
> can update the version to RHEL 5.10 (Tikanga). Would this patching
> help as lot of updates are pending?

I have no idea. I know virtually nothing about RHEL and what changes
will be coming.