Randhir -
Your actual first request in this thread was apparently a request for opinions
on monitoring tools.
This problem of actual hangs wasn't brought up until a week later.
Here is what I've usually found when Tomcat stops responding and even the
monitoring port is unreachable via jconsole and other tools: Your JVM has
crashed for some reason.
At this point, you need to refer to the Tomcat logs, your application logs,
etc. in order to find the root cause.  If the JVM is still "running", try
taking a couple of thread dumps and review them to find your root cause.
Jeff