Thanks for your valuable inputs. I am a bit of a novice to this. When this
problem happens, it is quite a loss of face in front of the users who are
widely spread geographically. I checked the catalina.out logs on the 2 days
that the problem happened on 23rd & 25th April, the findings are as below:

23rd April '14:

The catalina.out log showed the message like,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caused by: org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed out.
Waited 300000 milliseconds for response while calling on InvokerLocator
[socket://<hostname of our
machine>:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000]; nested
exception is:

3 times among other exceptions in a span of around 2 minutes.

25th April '14:

The errors captured in the logs were like,
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

4 times among other exceptions in a span of around 2 minutes.

Requesting a reply on this.

Regards