David,

On 1/14/15 1:15 PM, David kerber wrote:
> On 1/14/2015 1:02 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote: Thone,

> See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html and
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic_Application_Deployment
>

> It defaults to true because it's not much overhead and most people
> want to allow automatic re-deployment of web applications. It's
> easily disabled.
>
> The real question is "why is Tomcat deciding to reload"?
>
> The only time Tomcat reloads for us (we run with autoDeploy set to
> default in production) is when we "touch" the META-INF/context.xml
> file.
>
> You should check the timestamps on your context.xml files (or
> appname.xml files, if you are placing those into
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml) and/or your WAR
> files (or exploded WAR directories) in your appbase (defaults to
> CATALINA_BASE/webapps) to see if those timestamps are changing for
> some reason.
>
> Timestamps should be retained in ms since the epoch, so DST
> changes shouldn't have any effect (e.g. in March, your webapps
> won't automatically reload just because of clock adjustments). But,
> if the system time changes radically for some reason, it may
> trigger a reload or if the file dates change for some reason (I
> dunno... some weird NFS thing?) then you may also get a reload.
>
> I wonder if these occasional slow-downs are an artifact of
> reloading the web application in the middle of a request.
>
>> I take it TC is running as a service (or whatever it's called on
>> Linux)? And if so, will it auto restart if TC crashes?  I know
>> it's quite a stretch, but if something was messed up badly
>> enough, could it crash the service during the request, causing it
>> to auto restart and reload?

Possibly.

I re-read the log file, and there are no logs that actually say that
the context is reloading. It just says "checking context[/path] reload
resource" over and over again. I checked, and Tomcat does not emit any
log messages that look like that... this must come from somewhere else.

so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. What I can tell is that some
component is furiously checking "reload resources" during the time
period covered by that log file.

I would check the /Tomcat/ log during the same period to see if
anything is happening, there.