This is probably off-topic now so marking as such.

On 29/06/2015 14:29, André Warnier wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> <snip/>

>>> Support incident raised. I await the response with interest...
>>
>> Oh dear. Not a good first response from Microsoft.
>>
>> First they tried to say that the WebDAV server must be triggering the
>> prompt for credentials which would be difficult to say the least given
>> that the TLS connection is never established AND that the WebDAV
>> endpoint was configured for anonymous access.
>>
>> Then they tried to suggest that I contact Apache for support. Lets just
>> say that suggestion got shut down rather quickly.
>
> Like, "I /am/ Apache support" ? :-)

Pretty much. Once I'd stopped laughing.

>> Finally they went back to trying to suggest that the server was asking
>> for credentials. A rather circular discussion followed that demonstrated
>> that the support person had little to no understanding of the OSI
>> network model (they continued to try to claim that establishing a TCP
>> connection meant that the WebDAV server could have sent the request for
>> authentication credentials despite the fact that the TLS connection
>> failed).
>>
>> The only small ray of hope is that they asked for a network trace of the
>> connection process. That should enable someone more clueful at Microsoft
>> to confirm it is the client error handling at fault.
>>
>> I'll keep the list informed of progress.

Progress, if you can call it that, has not been good. They have now
asked for additional network traces since:

<quote>
... to be able to understand what packets are sent by client and what
response did Server generate for the specific packet, I would like to
check a simultaneous trace on both communication endpoints
</quote>

I have just sent a very long, fairly stropy reply pointing out the
complete pointlessness of this request - not least because the
information they claim they don't have is right in front of them in the
form of the sequence and acknowledgement numbers in the network trace.

I've also formally complained to the support engineer's manager and
requested - no, make that demanded - that the issue is passed to the
relevant product team.

I'd share the full e-mails but during my investigations I have stumbled
across a very, very minor security issue in the Microsoft WebDAV client.
It barely qualifies as a problem but it is only fair to give Microsoft a
chance to fix it before I go public with the details. I'll save the
e-mails and make then public once the security issue has gone away. It
might make an amusing lightning talk presentation at ApacheCon one year.

I will say that if you are using the WebDAV client then it is extremely
unlikely that you will be affected by the security issue. My view is
that the security issue is not sufficient reason on its own to look for
a different client.

That said, based on my experience of this WebDAV client in the past
(very buggy) and my current experience trying to get what should be a
simple bug fixed in the current client I would always recommend that you
use a 3rd party WebDAV client (and check out the quality of the support
provided before you make your final selection).

Mark