On 26/06/2015 19:37, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/06/2015 11:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 22/06/2015 09:39, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> Prompting for authentication in response to an untrusted certificate is
>> bizarre to say the least.
>>
>> Microsoft generously provide MSDN subscriptions for Apache committers
>> which is why I have the various OS's to hand to test this. The
>> subscription also comes with tech support. I'll open an incident. It
>> will be interesting to see if things have improved since I last tried
>> raising bugs with Microsoft (I filed so many bugs with MS Office and it
>> took so long for MS to fix them that I hit the limit of issues MS would
>> let me have open in parallel).
>
> Support incident raised. I await the response with interest...

Oh dear. Not a good first response from Microsoft.

First they tried to say that the WebDAV server must be triggering the
prompt for credentials which would be difficult to say the least given
that the TLS connection is never established AND that the WebDAV
endpoint was configured for anonymous access.

Then they tried to suggest that I contact Apache for support. Lets just
say that suggestion got shut down rather quickly.

Finally they went back to trying to suggest that the server was asking
for credentials. A rather circular discussion followed that demonstrated
that the support person had little to no understanding of the OSI
network model (they continued to try to claim that establishing a TCP
connection meant that the WebDAV server could have sent the request for
authentication credentials despite the fact that the TLS connection failed).

The only small ray of hope is that they asked for a network trace of the
connection process. That should enable someone more clueful at Microsoft
to confirm it is the client error handling at fault.

I'll keep the list informed of progress.

Mark