On 10/02/2015 10:10 PM, Frederik Nosi wrote:
Christopher,

Frederik,

On 10/2/15 12:29 PM, Frederik Nosi wrote:
On 10/02/2015 01:05 PM, David kerber wrote:
On 10/2/2015 3:47 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 02/10/2015 00:39, Jason Britton wrote:

<snip/>

And if Mark says there shouldn't be problems, I think that is
some implicit guarantee of free support from him ;)
:)

Bugs with reproducible tests cases are always welcome.

I have a lot of convenience shell scripts here and there but
nothing I couldn't replicate in powershell I imagine.  I
would miss grep and find and all the other super useful Linux
command line operations.  I'm not sure I've ever been able to
successfully search for text in files on a windows machine
server or otherwise (except when using notepad++).
I've had similar problems using the OS provided tools on
Windows. I've long since switched to this:

http://www.wingrep.com/

and never looked back.
AstroGrep!  http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/
Actually tail and other shell commands would be another heavy miss
for me, it was at the times i had to manage stuff on Windows years
ago. I got used to install Cygwin as first step in those times:

https://www.cygwin.com/
There are also the win32 builds of GNU tools, but they all seem to run
terribly slowly. I think it's because the standard C API is probably
implemented using the win32 API so there's a layer of indirection
around a lot of things.

I know i know ... horror stories ...

Cygwin is an option, but it's always ... just not the same. It also
seems sluggish and things get really bizarre with path names and
stuff. Some tools work well with the path insanity and others fail
horribly.

I do have to support java applications on unix where you can find inside:

C:\...\Documents\... \Someone

..

So i know.

Anyway, although slow at least make you actually grep / tail and such. I really cant understand how one can check logs under win, but maybe that's me.

Sorry, i was talking about Cygwin or win32 builds in case it wasn't clear

All this though, has little to do with Window's kernel, it's the userspace that IMHO is not adequate.