OP here.

I really appreciate the objective well thought out responses, this
community has never disappointed me.  A more qualified list of respondents
I will not find elsewhere.  George I should have said Windows Server 2012
R2.  A lot of our Windows servers are still 2008 R2 but any new ones that
are spun up are 2012 R2.  Our server environment is entirely virtualized
(VMware) so the hardware​ either OS would be sitting on would be
equivalent.  André I really appreciate the detail, holy war indeed :)  I
have sheathed my sword at work and am at least considering the possibility
of migration to Windows 2012 R2, it'll be more work short term but easier
maintenance, enforcement of security and compliance for our sys admins in
the long run considering their skill set. And if Mark says there shouldn't
be problems, I think that is some implicit guarantee of free support from
him ;)

I have a lot of convenience shell scripts here and there but nothing I
couldn't replicate in powershell I imagine.  I would miss grep and find and
all the other super useful Linux command line operations.  I'm not sure
I've ever been able to successfully search for text in files on a windows
machine server or otherwise (except when using notepad++).  We do have
Apache HTTPD proxying to our six different Tomcat instances but I'm fairly
certain this would be able to be replicated in Windows as well without too
much trouble.

My biggest reluctance at this point would be the loss of the possibility of
containerization (Docker).  I love the ability to build a war and create a
container running Tomcat around it, with the configuration of the server
entirely scripted and versioned.  Passing that built image between dev, qa
and production environments is so appealing.  We are a ways away from that
promise and workflow but I hate to remove the possibility.  Boot2Docker on
Windows is not a production option, would work adequately well enough for
development/qa perhaps.

@Christopher Schultz - Love the enthusiasm, who wouldn't love that welcome,
you must think I'm someone else, I know it's been 5/6/7 years since I
posted here last, my few posts must have had an effect :)  Money isn't an
issue, even though I work for a non-profit.  The change is entirely
motivated what's best for the organization as a whole from support,
maintenance, policy compliance, etc, a lot of the big picture items André
mentioned.  Our sys admins are quite a bit more comfortable in Windows.

Very much appreciate the dialog.