> I got copies of both 7.0.53 and 7.0.69 off the Tomcat website, and
> installed .53 first on a vmware vm, then tried running .69 over it to see
> if it was just an easy upgrade, but it looks like Tomcat doesn't make the
> upgrade that easy.

It is unclear here if you have the HP application installed or not on
7.0.53 in you VM. If you don't, it is pointless to backup any content. The
idea of the backup is to keep a copy of the working configuration for
reference.

> So, if I understand your suggestions correctly, would the following plan
> of action work -
>
> Make a backup of everything under C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\, in particular conf and webapps
> Remove the current version of Tomcat (.53)
> Install most recent version (.69)
> Copy the contents of the conf and webapps folder back to the new install

No, don't blindly copy contents. You can copy the WAR file in the webapps
folder. But you shouldn't just copy over the conf content. Usually, only
the server.xml is modified and you must look at the actual content and
adapt to your particular needs. The old copy being a reference provided it
is not just a vanilla copy.

> There is a *.keystore file and a keystore.jks files in the root of
> C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\ - I'm guessing they
> are probably needed as well to get SSL working correctly (?)

If you have SSL enabled you should look into the server.xml for the files
you need to keep. You can relocate them provided you update the location in
the server.xml.

> Should that do the trick?

You must understand what you are doing. You cannot just blindly copy
everything and expect it to work. Usually, the Tomcat configuration is in
conf/server.xml and the web application configuration is in
webapps/whatever_name/WEB-INF/web.xml. However, with HP you may also have
other files in WEB-INF to edit to configure the application properly.

> (I'm not familiar with WAR files - is that the normal way to install new
> apps into Tomcat?)

WAR is the standard to distribute web applications.

Regards,
Daniel Savard