On 6/12/2016 11:29 AM, Daniel Savard wrote:

I got copies of both 7.0.53 and 7.0.69 off the Tomcat website, and
installed .53 first on a vmware vm, then tried running .69 over it to see
if it was just an easy upgrade, but it looks like Tomcat doesn't make the
upgrade that easy.

It is unclear here if you have the HP application installed or not on
7.0.53 in you VM. If you don't, it is pointless to backup any content. The
idea of the backup is to keep a copy of the working configuration for
reference.

Daniel - sorry, this was probably confusing. What I did was install Tomcat 7.0.53 at *home* on a virtual server - there was nothing else installed on this virtual machine - no Service Manager, no apps, nothing else. I just wanted to see what happened when I went to install 7.0.69 over the top of .53; i.e. would there just be a simple "upgrade" option or not. There wasn't an option to "upgrade" and the install choked at one point when it realized there was another tomcat.exe process running and it couldn't overwrite the file.

The server I need to upgrade at *work* is a perfectly functioning instance of Service Manager. It is working fine with no issues at the moment. I haven't touched anything on this server yet.

It sounds like, from what you've said, the standard way to deploy an app in tomcat is via a WAR file getting dropped in the webapps directory. There is a sm.war file in the root of ..\webapps; if I copied that file into the new tomcat install webapps directory, would that install the app correctly? Or does a new *.war file need to be generated with a new version of tomcat? Service Manager itself isn't getting upgraded at this time, so if that was the same war file used in the last upgrade (they went from 9.33 to 9.40), shouldn't it work in this one too?

The fall back is that the work servers are running in vmware - so I can take a snapshot before starting and roll back if anything goes south.

Thanks again in advance.

Paul