I agree with you - an app server without EJB.  And with Spring framework
and the like, you rarely need EJB any more.  But that might start a flame
war!! ;-)

cheers,

David

|         |           Christopher Schultz|
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           chultz.net>        |
|         |           13/07/2006 16:05   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           "Tomcat Users List"|

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                    |
  |       cc:
                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Tomcat Not An App Server
                                    |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Mike,

> I know that Tomcat is not really an App Server like JBoss etc...

Some may argue with me, but I would consider Tomcat an app server. JBoss
happens to be an EJB container as well as a servlet container (and
provides some other services as well), while Tomcat provides only the
servlet container and some directory services.

> However, if I had a component that was not a web application and I
> wanted to start it inside tomcat how could I do that ?

> Is there some configuration file I would need to add something to in
> order to have a component started and would I need to implement some
> Tomcat interface to do it?

What do you want to run inside of Tomcat that is not a web application?
Tomcat is basically a web application container, so I'm not sure what
else you'd want to run.

-chris

(See attached file: signature.asc)