From: Timothy Collett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 17, 2006 8:26 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Not An App Server

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Mike Wannamaker wrote:
> So I would like to be able to somehow have Tomcat start our core
> services, much the way that JBoss would, before loading any web apps.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how that could be accomplished.

My guess (which should be taken with a grain of salt, as I'm
relatively new at this myself) is you want to subclass StandardHost
or StandardEngine, and have the start() method initialize your core
services, and the stop() method shut them down.

If subclassing those is as easy as subclassing StandardContext was
for me, it should be as simple as calling super.start() and super.stop
() then calling whatever initialization methods you need to run.

Timothy Collett

--

No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency.
  - Theodore Roosevelt