Martin Cavanagh wrote:
> Heres trouble...........the System does call System.exit(), when it
> can't create the directory... - so I understand why my application would
> stop- but why would tomcat shutdown?

And there is the problem. System.exit() will kill the JVM (unless you
are running under a security manager and don't give the code permission
to do this). Tomcat registers a shutdown hook on startup which performs
a clean stop if the JVM is stopped. This is why you see what appears to
be a 'normal' shutdown in the logs.

Mark