I assume you mean the regular version. I was able to get the regular version
working quite quickly as well, unfortunately, I have to have access to the
source code, so I'm not able to use that version.  All those other things in
the /var/www/html directory came with Jira, with the exception of "back,"
and that is just my backup of the precompiled version of Jira.

So what is the appBase in server.xml, and why can't I just make it work?  I
do not plan to serve anything else off this machine with Tomcat, and this
machine is only my development env. For that reason I would rather hack it
together and it work sooner than do it right and it take a lot longer. I'd
rather spend my time developing and getting it working on the production
machine. When I had the appBase set to my Jira directory, it worked. Is
there any reason other than the theoretical correctness or serving other
apps that I shouldn't just change it back?

Erin