> From: linuxChique [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Configuring Tomcat on Fedora Core 8
>
> So what is the appBase in server.xml, and why can't I just
> make it work?

The appBase attribute identifies the standard directory for all typical
deployments, with the default value of "webapps".  Web applications are
normally placed in directories (or .war files) immediately under
appBase; the appBase directory itself must not "be" a webapp.  For
example, in the standard Tomcat 5.5 download, you'll find the individual
applications ROOT, tomcat-docs, jsp-examples, servlet-examples, etc.,
all under the webapps directory.  (In Tomcat 6, the appBase also
includes the manager and host-manager apps, thanks to the simplified
classloader hierarchy.  By the way, why aren't you using Tomcat 6?)

Webapps can also be located outside of the appBase directory, which is
apparently how JIRA is designed to work.  In such a situation, there
must be a <Context> element in the file
conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml, and that <Context> element must
contain a docBase attribute pointing to the location of the webapp.

The appBase attribute and any individual webapp's docBase must not have
the same value; this causes problems with the nested container
architecture of Tomcat.  Although things may appear to be functional
initially, internal data structures will be constructed improperly and
erratic operation is to be expected.

Web applications must conform to the directory structure defined in the
servlet spec (JSR 154); in particular a webapp is expected to have a
first-level WEB-INF directory containing lib and optional classes
directories that hold the jars and individual class files of the
application.  (Tomcat doesn't actually insist on the presence of
WEB-INF, so it can handle "applications" that consist only of static
content.)

> For that reason I would rather hack it together and it
> work sooner than do it right and it take a lot longer.

Speaking from 38 years of experience in developing operating system
software: that approach may seem attractive, but it's just asking for
headaches, and will cost you a lot more time than getting it right from
the beginning.

Meanwhile, back to the problem at hand:  I would expect the build
mechanism for the full source download to include some means of creating
a .war file.  (For the non-source distribution, the build.xml target of
"war" generates it in the dist-tomcat directory under the JIRA home
directory.)  Run the necesary script, find the .war file, and update
your docBase attribute in the jira.xml <Context> element to point to the
.war file.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.