It was jira-server.xml before I fixed it, but I saw an error message in the
log about /var/www/html/jira/jira-server not existing, and that filename was
the only instance of the phrase "jira-server" anywhere in the configuration,
so I changed the docBase from /var/www/html/jira to /var/www/html/ and the
filename to jira.xml and that error went away, so now it is jira.xml.

Inside jira.xml (the default one that came with Jira), is this line:
<Context path="/jira" docBase="/var/www/html/" debug="0">  That's what I
meant that I had changed. It was already in the default jira.xml that came
with Jira.

But what I mean is, how do I know what the "root" directory is for web
serving purposes? Is it related to the .jar file that maven created when I
compiled the jsp code? Is it the directory default.jsp is in?

Thanks,  Erin