> From: linuxChique [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Configuring Tomcat on Fedora Core 8
>
> I'm installing Jira from source to develop it, so I'm not
> using the precompiled version that doesn't include the
> src/ directory.

I still wonder if the src directory will contain the jars and classes
needed to actually run the thing, unless the structure of the full
source download is quite different from the binary distribution.

> I untarred Jira into /var/www/html and haven't changed any of
> the directory structure, except that I moved all the contents
> of the top-level directory, atlassian-jira-source-3.11, directly
> into /var/www/html/.

It probably would be better to leave it one directory further down,
since /var/www/html may be used by other products (as already appears to
be the case on your system).

> As a sidenote question, should these files be owned by someone
> other than root for anything other than security purposes?

Definitely.  You should always keep root usage to an absolute minimum.

> Any chance Tomcat is refusing to find them because they are owned
> by root?

Don't think so - the permissions appear to allow read by any userid,
although when JIRA actually runs, it does need write access to some
areas in its home directory.

Just for grins, I downloaded and installed JIRA, and got it to run with
about 15 minutes of downloading and fiddling (mostly figuring out which
JOTM jars it really needed).  Here's the steps I followed:

1) Download the WAR/EAR version of JIRA.  (I don't ever want a 3rd-party
repackaged Tomcat.)

2) Did a "build war" to create the atlassian-jira-3.11.war webapp file.

3) Copied the jira.xml file from the dist-tomcat/tomcat-5.5 directory to
Tomcat's conf/Catalina/localhost directory.

4) Edited the jira.xml file to comment out the <Manager> element.

5) Downloaded and copied the latest hsqdlb.jar file to Tomcat's
common/lib directory.

6) Downloaded and copied the connector-1_5.jar, howl.jar, jotm.jar, and
jta-spec1_0_1.jar files from the latest JOTM distribution to Tomcat's
common/lib directory.

7) Started Tomcat.

8) Accessed JIRA via http://localhost:8080/jira and got the
configuration page.

The readme.txt file described most of the necessary steps, other than
figuring out what JOTM jars were really needed.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.