My understanding:

When server receives a request for a secured resource first time (depending
on url-pattern and security constraint settings in web.xml), first it asks
for credentials using dialog box if its BASIC authentication or login form
if its FORM authenticatin and performs authentication based on Realm (JDBC
or JNDI or memory). If the user is authenticated successfully, it sets the
Principal object in the request (you can see this using
request.getUserPrincipal()). For subsequent requests, it checks everytime
for the Principal object and flow continues.

When SingleSignOn valve (server.xml) is enabled, Tomcat allows the user to
navigate to other app (which is deployed in the same server) with out
prompting for authentication details again. Actually it shares the Principal
object in the request.

In my case as I am already authenticated in aaa.com, I am able to access
bbb.com's dynamic data (which is deployed in tomcat) without providing the
authentication details second time. But not able to access the bbb.com's
static data which is deployed in apache.

In normal flow, (without SSO), if I authenticate bbb.com's apache pages
(using httpd and .htaccess), I could navigate to Tomcat's pages without
providing the authentication details. Means, here apache is caching
credentials using SOME mechanism (not only cookies. But something else.. I
am not sure..this) and tomcat is using those credentials and not asking for
authentication.

I need the reverse functionality. Means, when I provide credentials in
aaa.com (Tomcat Form based authentication) I should be able to navigate to
bbb.com's apache pages. (anyhow I am able to access bbb.com's tomcat pages).

I am sorry for lengthy message. But I tried to explain complete scenario.