sridharmnj wrote:
Many thanks to all of you for responding to my problem.
I apologize, I hope I didnot mention my system architecture clearly. (As I
mentioned, it is an old application, which was developed 9 yrs ago, and no
documentation at all :-(  )

I am accessing those applications like..

www.mywebsite.com/aaa -> (aaa webapp) Its based on Tomcat FORM based
authentication. (JDBC Realm)
www.mywebsite.com/bbb -> Here some static pages are deployed into Apache and
based on BASIC authentication.(mod_auth_mysql)
www.mywebsite.com/ccc -> (ccc webapp) Here dynamic pages are deployed on
Tomcat based on BASIC authentication.(JDBC Realm)

All the above applications are using same usertable for credentials.

Scenario 1: When I logs into the bbb, (Apache-BASIC) it is poping up a
dialog box with username and password and after providing the details it is
authenticating using mod_auth_mysql. I have a link to the ccc (Tomcat-BASIC)
from bbb pages. When I clicked that link, I am able to navigate those pages
without providing the credentials again. (I hope, here tomcat is finding
auth headers which are set by Apache)

Scenario 2: When I directly logs into ccc (Tomcat-BASIC) it is poping up a
dialog box with username and password and after providing the details, it is
authenticating using Tomcat BASIC authentication. If I click a link to bbb,
I am able to navigate to it without providing the details 2nd time. (I hope,
here Apache is finding the credentials which are set by Tomcat).

Scenario 3: When I logs into aaa, (TOMCAT-FORM) after authentication, I am
able to access ccc (TOMCAT-BASIC) without providing the credentials again.
(I hope, here Tomcat is sharing the credentials between FORM and BASIC
authentication credentials, as SingleSignOnValve is enabled).

These Scenarios 1,2,3 are working perfectly, and I need those as is.

Scenario 4: When I logs into aaa, (Tomcat-Form) after authentication, If I
click a link to bbb (Apache-BASIC) again its poping up a window for username
and password.

This is (Scenario 4) what I need to change. When a user logs into aaa using
Tomcat-Form based authentication and clicks a link to bbb, he should be
directly allowed to it without asking the credentials 2nd time.

Is there any way to do it, without modifying the Apache Authencitation?

Not to my knowledge. AFAIK Tomcat sets a user principal that is not visible to the HTTPD server's authentication/authorization module.

HTTPD's authenticated remote user header can be visible downwards to the container with the right configuration, and the two Tomcat webapps can co-operate, but I don't believe that there is anything in JK to allow it to propagate a principal upwards.

Maybe one of the mod_jk committers has better info.

I am really sorry if I am confusing you. Please let me know still if you
need any other details.

Thanks,
Sridhar

Pid-2 wrote:
Johnny Kewl wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Propes, Barry L " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

Hi,
I am integrating two websites using single sign on. I have two sites namely
aaa.com and bbb.com.
I enabled SingleSignOn valve in server.xml file, and trying to access
Its not going to work...
Its not because of TC, its because of the way cookies are handled by the browser.

Its been a long long time since I wrote a filter to do this, and there are probably better third party products out there.
But this is what I remember...

The SingleSignOn is addressing the issue of sign on across web apps and within a single TC... not across machines. ie Tomcat has to at least be able to track the session. If thats covered then...

Then and I forget the terminology.
A browser will consider this the same domain....
aaa.com/webapp/servlet1
aaa.com/webapp/servlet2

and I think even
aaa.com/webapp2/servlet1

but as soon as that becomes bbb.com

the "browser" treats it like a stranger and does not return the session key, nor auth info for the other domain... so TC/Apache is screwed because the browser doesnt want to play.

Vaguely I remember setting "persistent" cookies in the browser, and then tracking my own cookies across machines... but it also meant a complete redo of all the security and TC's generic security could not be used.

I remember seeing thrid party tools... but if you cant change the one webapp, you into something really creative, creating a filter wont work because security happens before the filter.... you have a creative problem on your hands ;)
E.g. OpenID, JOSSO etc

Search google for "Java Single Sign On".

As has been stated, SingleSignOnValve isn't a true SSO solution.

I think if you can put TC behind Apache, thus getting it back to the same domain name, and the distinguishing only on sub context...
ie
aaa.com/images/in apache
aaa.com/webapp/someservlet and the call is passed thru to TC

Then the browser will like it and return the authentication details.... otherwise is going to be some kind of complex proxy type thing to trick the browser.

Good luck...

The only real POJO Application Server.