Thanks for the thoughts Chris, but I found the cause.

I had lowered the the keepalivetimeout setting to 10s because our
application polls in 2.5s intervals, pretty unexpected result (I figured
10s should be enough).

I think the connection gets closed somewhere in the middle of  the post
request but the request is still accepted as complete.  The post
parameters are never received and/or processed.

Raising keepalivetimeout on the apr connector from 10s to 60s
drastically lowered  the amount of  occurences.  (on par with the amount
we had on other servers with NIO where the keepalivetimeout defaulted
to  60s, we always had this issue but to a much lower extent)

It occurred to me after reading this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200708.mbox/%3c46d6f4a6.1000...@mbuyu.nl%3e