On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:49:06PM -0400, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> > I was asked to set up a Tomcat's proxy server in Windows (using XP SP2).
>
> Question 1: What is "Tomcat's proxy server"?

Apache Tomcat to act like a proxy server so other PCs, on the LAN, can
go through it to access the Internet. Is this not a correct way to set
up?

> Are you talking about using another web server out in front of Tomcat?
> That would make sense given the steps you've taken:
>
> > 1. Installed the required latest Sun's JRE v6u13.
> > 2. Downloaded and installed
> > http://www.archicentral.com/mirrors/apache/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.18/bin/apache-tomcat-6.0.18.exe
> >
> > (Apache Tomcat Core).
> > 3. Saw Apache Tomcat's system tray icon. I opened it up to see its
> > screen, but did not seeing anything about proxy.
>
> Tomcat does not run its own proxy or anything like that. If you want to
> run another web server in front of Tomcat, you'll have to install and
> configure /that/ web server.
>
> It sounds like you're trying to set up Apache httpd (which is a web
> server) so that it proxies (some?) traffic to Tomcat. Where is Tomcat
> already running? If it's already running on another box, and this new
> Windows machine is intended to be the "proxy", then your first step is
> to uninstall Tomcat. Really.
>
> Next, download Apache httpd (you can find it here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi). The latest version is 2.2.11. Get
> the windows binary and install it.

I thought Apache Tomcat already includes Apache.

--
"Not to engage in the pursuit of ideas is to live like ants instead of
men." --Mortimer J. Adler
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: phi...@earthlink.net or a...@zimage.com
    ( )