> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.good...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: slight problem with Tomcat and Httpd working together.
>
> be SURE you get the correct version of the binaries for your version of
> Tomcat (32-bit / 64 bit).

Tomcat itself is pure Java, so it is neither 32- nor 64-bit sensitive.  The JVM
you run Tomcat on *is* 32- or 64-bit specific, however.

> I am having some trouble understanding what the docBase is.

The docBase attribute of <Context> is the deployment location of an individual
webapp.

> I understand what the appBase is

Perhaps you don't; the appBase attribute of a <Host> is the /default/
deployment directory for its webapps; individual webapps are typically located
*under* the appBase directory.

> I don't understand why the docBase and appBase cannot be the
> same declaration

Because they are quite different; appBase points to the directory under which a
*collection* of webapps resides, docBase points to an *individual* webapp.

> why it is recommended that anything in your appBase shouldn't
> start with the same string that is defined in your docBase.

I haven't read the O'Reilly book so I don't know if it contains confusing or
irrelevant information.  The real point here is that you can easily get double
deployments if you start putting in values for docBase; it's normally not used
these days.

> I have my docBase set to ROOT on the data drive
> and the appBase is just defined as <drive>:/webapps/

You seem not to be aware that one can have many webapps running under one
instance of Tomcat; ROOT is simply the default one.  Note that if your
<Context> element is in your webapp's META-INF/context.xml file, it is illegal
to set the docBase (or path) attributes.  The docBase attribute should only be
used when the webapp is located *outside* of the <Host> appBase directory, and
the <Context> element is in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml.

> there is really no clear concise "This is what the docBase is,
> does, and means" that I can find.

To quote from the Tomcat doc:

"The Document Base (also known as the Context Root) directory for this web
application, or the pathname to the web application archive file (if this web
application is being executed directly from the WAR file). You may specify an
absolute pathname for this directory or WAR file, or a pathname that is
relative to the appBase directory of the owning Host.

"The value of this field must not be set when the Context is configured using a
META-INF/context.xml file as it will be inferred by the automatic deployment
process."

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.