The session data is stored on the server, so if the JSESSIONID lasted longer than the session on the server, it would simply map to an expired session. What would happen in this case is the server would have no session mapping
to that ID and simply allocate a new session, with a new JSESSIONID.

There are two ways to store your cart:

  - regular browse cookie, being sure to respect maximum storage
  - store it on the server

The last appraoch is the only way to ensure the user will have access
to the cart from another machine, though this will require a user account.

The regular browser cookie will allow you short term storage, but has
limited storage space and is only accessible from the computer the user
last visited yoru site with.

André-John