On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: R. S. Patil [mailto:kpr.rspa...@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Putting Docbase on network drive. Is it Possible ?
>>
>> I ran the startup script in a terminal window. The terminal window wont
>> come back to prompt as it does on Linux. For shutting down I have to
>> open another window. Is it Normal or it has any other work around ?
>
> No, that's not normal.  The startup.bat script uses the Windows "start"
> command to initiate the Tomcat process in a command window separate from the
> one the script is running in.  The original command window should return a
> prompt almost immediately after displaying four "Using xxx" lines.  If it
> doesn't do that, someone has modified - and broken - your startup.bat or
> catalina.bat scripts.  Download a fresh copy of Tomcat and compare what you
> have with the unmodified copy.

well the window from which catalina start command has been fired comes
to command
prompt after showing four lines but it opens another window which shows
startup log remains open and if I close that Tomcat terminates.

I tried with .zip installation but matter remains the same. Main terminal window
comes to prompt and even it is closed tomcat keeps running. But it opens
another window which remains open and it contains startup log. If I press ^C
in that window tomcat terminates same if I close that window.

> As André noted, CTRL-C can be used to cleanly terminate the Tomcat process
> when you've terminated the original command window.

raja