Léa Massiot wrote:
Pid * wrote
Either they did not, or they selected an alternative based on their
use-case.
I'm sure they did. You'll see below, my requirements are basic.

Pid * wrote
What is your exact requirement?
- Users upload files to the server running Tomcat.
- The Webapp stores these file on the hard disk in some directory which has
nothing to do neither with the Webapp nor with the Tomcat engine. Let's name
it "d1".
- I needed an alias for the directory "d1" to refer to it from inside the
Webapp.
  I created a "META-INF/context.xml":

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
  <Context aliases=&quot;/&lt;an_alias_1>=<d1>">
  </Context>

Of course, it works as expected with "Tomcat7".

I "just" want to do something equivalent which works with "Tomcat6".

this might help, in a container- and version-independent way :
http://jaitechwriteups.blogspot.de/2007/01/how-to-read-properties-file-in-web.html