Ok. So, I found a solution, if I can call that a solution.

- I created a file "an_alias_1.xml" in "/etc/tomcat6/Catalina/localhost/"
(the OS being Debian Squeeze).

- Here are the contents of this "an_alias_1.xml" file:
< Context path="/an_alias_1" docBase="/home/d1" crossContext="true" / >

- This Configuration Descriptor is automatically deployed once saved.

- I suppressed the Webapp "w"'s "WEB-INF\context.xml" I had created.

- I redeployed the Webapp "w".

=> Now, when a user clicks on any link < a href="/an_alias_1/file_< i>.txt">
file_< i>.txt < /a>
it is successfully retrieved.

=> What is still problematic to me, is that, when the user clicks on a link,
the context or Webapp changes (from "w" to "an_alias_1").
The resources which are in "/home/d1" are available directly by typing the
following URL in a browser:
http://<hostname>:8080/an_alias_1/file_< i>.txt
and not compulsorily through the Webapp "w".

Best regards.

Ref. - a useful thread on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4575562/how-to-set-up-a-different-context-to-point-to-an-external-directory-outside-weba