On Wed, 02 Jul 2008, Johan Compagner wrote:
> I still dont see a complete decoupling or do you mean only getDefaultXxxx()?

What I mean is that post-1.4 it would be good to remove the
defaultModel* stuff and other IModel dependencies from
Component, and maybe try to move towards a more case-by-case
model handling in generified (actually
typed-after-their-default-model-type) components as well.

> So all the getModel() (Link/FormComponent) are still there?

I wouldn't mind trying to see if we could remove the magic
currently done in get/setModel* in those too, and if model
becomes a normal field in those (instead of an element
stored in Component.data), open it to subclasses by making
it protected and leave implementing a part of those methods
to the users. Often it's better for the design to avoid
using getters and setters.

Some of the magic might work in the models themselves, for
example making the component aware models... aware of the
relevant components :)

This might turn out not to be practical, and either way
having the get/setModel* by default in the generified
components is fine by me -- just thinking about different
options, and whether they have relevance on what will go to
1.4.

Best wishes,
Timo

--