I've been thinking about the new 1.5 page ID/versioning feature (which
we disabled as soon as we discovered it) and wondering if there is
actually a real world scenario for stateful pages that actually requires
this functionality.

I understand the purpose is so that the browser's 'Back' function can
work "properly" (and maybe efficiently) but, in all the scenarios we
have at least, "proper" would be to re-render and not pull the page from
the cache.

For example, an online store with the current shopping cart displayed in
the right hand column:

Browser is showing page for product A, no products in shopping cart
shown in right column.

User goes to page for product B, adds product B to shopping cart.

Hit's back button.

Now wouldn't the 'page versioning/id' feature now show the cached page
for product A with a shopping cart that is still empty even though the
user just added product B? Or would it realize that the shopping cart
panel's model has changed and update it to reflect the newly added item?

In this scenario showing an empty shopping cart is a very definite
incorrect behavior that will freak out the user who believes that they
have added a product B (which they have) but it is not shown in the
shopping cart.

1.4 functionality (without page ID) worked fine. We never had a single
complaint about back button not displaying the correct result.

I'm half doubting whether page ID is a useful feature but half wondering
if it is a useful feature for which I just haven't discovered useful
scenarios where it is of benefit and so I should find these scenarios
and change my design to use it.

Thoughts?