Hi Andrew,
To check whether the problem is rights-related (it might be if the skin page
is stored in the wiki), go to your Skin page with an Admin account, click on
edit -> page access rights, and then tick the view right for Unregistered
users.

This will make only that specific page viewable (which does not matter much)
and might solve your problem.

If this trick solves the issue, it would mean you problem stemmed from the
fact that XWiki refused to display the contents of the page to users who
didn't have the rights to see it, therefore preventing your skin from being
parsed & used. I'm not sure that's it but it might be worth a shot :-)

Hope this will work,

Guillaume

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/