On  Jun 19 , at 4:47 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> I have yet to see a word processor or page layout program that allows me to
> specify the type size in millimeters. And when I write a program to generate
> PostScript (usually for graphing something), I have to start every page by
> changing the scale to millimeters.

Apple does it! (Well, almost - it allows centimetres but not millimetres  -
Sorry Pat Naughtin.)).

My Apple PAGES word processor allows me to set the units for the rulers on my
pages to either inches, centimetres, points or pikas. Naturally, I set it to
centimetres. Now, anytime I call up the rulers, they are in cm. Most other
sizes relevant to the document are also in centimetres. (A few inexplicably are
in points.)

Once I have done that, I can specific margins etc. in centimetres. (Initially
all the margins are shown to be 2.54 cm!) I specify metric, using 2 cm margins
all around) and save the page as a template.

There is another preference that allows me to specify any template as the
default style. I have done this (once), setting my default style to be my
metric template. Now anytime I open a blank page to begin using the word
processor, everything is metric.

Bill Hooper
1810 mm tall
Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA