I use Windows 7 and Microsoft Word 2007.

In the upper left corner is a large button with the Windows symbol on it.
If I click on it a drop-down menu appears with commands such as New, Open,
Save etc.
At the bottom is a button marked "Word Options".
Clicking "Word Options" brings up a menu called "Change the most popular
options in Word."  There is a menu to the side.
Click on "Advanced" to get a menu called "Advanced options for working with
Word."
Scroll down.
Under "Display" there is an option called "Show measurements in units of"
and a menu to the right.
Clicking on the down arrow on the menu to the right lets you choose from:
Inches, Centimeters, Millimeters, Points, or Picas.
Select "millimeters" and "OK" your way back out.
Done.  Everything is now in millimeters.

To correctly set tabs, select from the top menu "Page Layout" then click the
arrow to the right of the sub-menu label "Paragraph".  A new menu appears.
Click the "Tabs" button on that menu and set tabs to what you want.
"OK" out and make that the default.

Carleton