I don't know which word processing program Bill is using on his Apple computer (there are at least several available), but OpenOffice allows millimeters as well as centimeters. The user chooses and then it stays that way unless changed again. See
        http://www.openoffice.org/
OpenOffice provides versions that can run on Mac OS x86 and Mac OS PPC. Versions are also available for Linux. The cost is zero; this is open source freeware.

Jim