You really don't have to be very numerate to move a decimal one place.

If I stipulate there are people that innumerate, how could they EVER convert
between feet and inches, pounds and ounces, ounces and pints, etc.  They would
obviously use Imperial/Customary even worse than they use metric.  They might
as
well metricate.  I would guess someone that innumerate could not use common
fractions (How many sixteenths in an inch?).

Such people can't measure, period (I think you would say "full stop").  They
are
inherently incapable of using any measurement system and are a "strawman"
distraction to the whole metrication discussion.

Anyway, no one advocates centimeters to the exclusion of millimeters.  However,
many of us think they have their place in certain situations, and that
millimeters shouldn't exclude centimeters, either.  I certainly disapprove of
teachers who ask things like how many yoctometers in a yottameter, but some
level of choosing correct prefixes is part of correctly using the metric system.

Is there really this huge fear of decimals in Australian and British society?
think Americans would say "decimals are our friends" and STRONGLY prefer them
common fractions.  First of all, everyone uses calculators, and calculators
love
decimals.  Secondly, I think most Americans would struggle to manipulate common
fractions correctly (far moreso than decimals).  Least common denominator will
quickly separate the men from the boys in common fractions.