From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of Pierre Abbat
Sent: 17 June 2011 03:47
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:50660] RE: cm vs. mm

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 13:51:28 Martin Vlietstra wrote:
> I disagree with you regarding the hectare - I would actually like to see
> the are being brought into general use as that would make:
>
> 1 are = 10^2 m^2
> 1 ha = 10^4 m^2
> 1 km^2 = 10^6 m^2
>
> This would ensure that no unit need have four digits ahead of the decimal
> point.

That wouldn't solve the problem. The problem is not that there are too many
digits; it's that, if the unit of length is the centimeter, or the unit of
area is the are or hectare, many calculations are going to require moving
the
decimal point. A gram per are is a centigram per square meter, and a gram
per
hectare, expressed as something per square meter, cannot be expressed with
any of the current prefixes. The base unit of area is the square meter. 1000

m² is a decare. 10^6 m² is a square kilometer, and 10^12 m² is a square
megameter, but 10^9 m² has no name, nor does 10^-3 m².

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.