Pat:

I think in all of these discussions of cm vs mm, we are not talking necessarily
of apples and oranges.  There is a case for both units - but in different
circumstances.

In the case of a particular industry (e.g. construction, or automotive), or a
particular company that has decided to go metric, there is no doubt that
sticking to mm is the only way to go.  But you have here a situation where
everybody has to be singing from the same songsheet, either by industry
agreement or company edict (or both), and there may be many who do not want to
convert but are being forced to.  In this case, and taking cognizance of the
kinds of measuring work that goes on in the industry or company, anything that
removes options and choice is necessary.  The cm vs mm option is the kind of
choice that will slow things down and cause confusion and errors.

But in everyday 'colloquial' metric, I believe things are different, and the cm
has its place there.  Yes, many people will relate it back to the inch, which
you cannot easily do with the mm.  But that is the whole point of colloquial
metric - people have a choice as to whether (in their minds at least) they want
to think metric or not.  And if you make it easier (in their minds) by using
something that has some sort of relationship to what they've used before, then
you have made some (albeit slow) progress, where otherwise you might have just
met a brick wall of a mindset with no progress at all.

For example, let's say you are a metric skeptic.  You have a cube (not sure
what of or in what circumstance, but let's just assume that this cube exists),
and you have to find its volume.  Now if the cube was 100 mm x 100 mm x 100 mm,
the average person (but especially the skeptic) would simply give up at this
point, and say the numbers are too big, don't know how to deal with them, I'll
stick to inches thank you very much, at least I will end up with some numbers I
can deal with.  But change that cube to 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm, and that person
might well say, "Oh, that's 1000 cubic cm, I can deal with that.  And isn't
that the same as a liter?"  Now admittedly I chose a very specific and easy
example, but it illustrates the kind of thinking that we all do on an everyday
basis, even for those of us who are well versed in SI.

Now I know measuring cubes like this doesn't happen very often in reality, but
we are dealing with perception here as much as anything.  And if people can
perceive that metric is easy (by keeping to numbers that are not too big, not
too small, in their minds), you will achieve progress that would otherwise
simply not be made.  I believe that is why all the odd units were invented over
the centuries (in whatever measurement system you had), in order that the
people were comfortable with the numbers involved.  This is quite different
from in the laboratory, in the drawing office, on the shop floor or on the
construction site, where the size of the numbers doesn't matter too much as
long as everyone is talking the same (and only one set of) numbers.

Different strokes.........

Cheers

John F-L