From: Pat Naughtin <pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Fri, June 17, 2011 7:00:27 PM
Subject: [USMA:50670] RE: cm vs. mm

Dear Martin,

Is there a rule or a protocol somewhere that it is preferable to use a
denominator in a derived unit that does not contain a prefix?

I have seen such a "rule" referred to but I have not seen it written anywhere
that I can recall.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Geelong, Australia

On 2011/06/17, at 17:43 , Martin Vlietstra wrote:

> The underlying problem is that we have elected to works in multiples of
> 1000, not 100.  Multiples of 1000 work well for cubic measures, multiples of
> 100 for superficial measures.  This is a fact of life with which we must
> live, just as the non-rational nature of pi is also a fact of life with
> which we must live.

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, see
http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST,
and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See
http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat
at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters'