Brian, Harry, Pat sirs:
>The cm vs. mm debates may be technically interesting, but they do not do much
>toward actually advancing metrication.
I agree and plead .....THERE IS NO LIMIT TO ARGUMENTS; since both cm
(centi+Metre) and mm (milli+Metre) are sub-units of the METRE
and hence Le Systeme International d'Unites (SI). Is is the realisation of base
unit - METRE i.e. of imprtance! AND let this not be confused
with *how individuals use it and with WHAT measurement occasion!*. By occasion,
I mean: Astronomical distances; Distances between 'Towns';
Measuring HIGHT of humans; the Laboratory measurements or the Measurements used
in Atomic/sub-atomic particle.
The common and natural unit to replace Yard is NAURALLY the Metre!
How far do we rate the invention of Metre is a  matter of acceptance 'French vs
British'? But, British INCH was almost getting the status of
".....a universal measure". My investigation and linking the Indus inch - a
unit linked to British inch with METRE take me down to Indus Metre
and hence to ancient India via:  http://www.brijvij.com/indusEvidence.doc and
http://www.brijvij.com/bbv_Ind-stps.aZtec_brCal-links.pdf.
Imprtance today is the realisation of METRE and its length rather than
'confusion between cm & mm' which seem to me a practical way for using
 the Metre which I place as: "METRE is the arc-length represented by 1/100th of
Pi/180 (one degree), at Earth centre". Also see:
http://www.brijvij.com/bb_deci-sec-nu-mtr.pdf
Regards,
Brij Bhushan Vij
Monday, 20110613H18:56(decimal)EST
Aa Nau Bhadra Kritvo Yantu Vishwatah -Rg Veda
The Astronomical Poem (revised number of days in any month)
"30 days has July,September,
April, June, November and December
all the rest have 31 except February which has 29
except on years divisible evenly by 4;
except when YEAR divisible by 128 and 3200 -
as long as you remember that
"October (meaning 8) is the 10th month; and
December (meaning 10) is the 12th BUT has 30 days & ONE
OUTSIDE of calendar-format"
Jan:31; Feb:29; Mar:31; Apr:30; May:31; Jun:30
Jul:30; Aug:31; Sep:30; Oct:31; Nov:30; Dec:30
(365th day of Year is World Day)
******As per Kali V-GRhymeCalendaar*****
"Koi bhi cheshtha vayarth nahin hoti, purshaarth karne mein hai"
My Profile - http://www.brijvij.com/bbv_2col-vipBrief.pdf
Author had NO interaction with The World Calendar Association
except via Media & Organisations to who I contributed for A
Possible World Calendar, since 1971.
HOME PAGE: http://www.brijvij.com/
Contact via E-mail: metric...@hotmail.com

From: br...@bjwhite.net
To: usma@colostate.edu
CC: usma@colostate.edu
Subject: [USMA:50602] RE: cm vs. mm
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:06:34 -0700

I've always thought the same thing.  This whole cm vs mm thing is nonsense.
It really doesn't matter.
My skis are 168 cm....I know that's 1680 mm.   I know 2.4 km is 2400 meters.
Ok....we all get it.  That's what makes the metric system so easy.

So--grab a 250 mL (or 25 cL) glass of wine, take a sip and relax.

This has to go down as one of the dumbest threads on this list yet-- centimeter
hatred.  Now that's rich.