Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> On 2022-09-16 16:25, per...@o2.pl wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems that I have to answer my own question. Currently I succeeded
> > to get 245.76MSamp/s in benchmark_rate for single channel with DPDK
> > over single 10Gbit link for an RFSoC device similar to USRP X410.
> >
> > My setup:
> >
> > * UHD 4.3, Ubuntu 20.04, DPDK 19.11 installed from packages
> >

> > * command: benchmark_rate --rx_subdev "A:0" --rx_channels 0
> >   \--args="addr=192.168.10.2,mgmt_addr=192.168.0.39,use_dpdk=1"
> >   \--rx_rate 245.76e6
> >

> > * Hardware: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, 128GB RAM, motherboard
> >   Asus X399
> >
> > This is not a mind-blowing rate, because I’m able to get quite stable
> > 245\.76 MSamp/s without DPDK.
> >
> > But it is a good start taking into account number of different strange
> > steps during DPDK installation and setup and very poor performance at
> > the beginning.
> >
> > Solutions to some issues were totally counterintuitive. I.e. in the
> > end I still had one \~oveflow per second at 245.76MSamp rate. The
> > solution was to run the program WITHOUT root rights/sudo (what
> > requires additional steps that were described by Rob Kossler).
> >
> > —
> > Best Regards,
> > Piotr Krysik
>
> The problem is that it's a question with absolutely no generic answer.
> People run SDR "stacks" on computers covering
>   literally several generations of CPU design (both Intel and AMD),
> different clock rates, bus speeds, memory speeds,
>   OS versions, different collections of peripheral cards like Ethernet
> interfaces (1Gig and 10GIg), etc.
>
> Further there likely aren't a huge number of users of the X410 at this
> point, and I suspect that many (not all, mind)
>   users of the X410 don't want to share very much about system
> configuration things.
>
> There's also probably a fair amount of "it depends" as to whether DPDK
> will improve performance or not involving
>   DPDK versions, type of 10GiG hardware, and which kernel version.

I understand that when it comes to X410 the odds are against getting too much
info from the community.

Regarding different configurations of PCs that people might use: if someone can
pay above 26k $ for X410 (or similar amount money for any other RFSoC based
board available from retailers) he probably isn’t forced to reuse a random PC
that he has available. He probably can pair it with a custom PC built from
parts that are proven to work seamlessly, in order to get as much performance
from the USRP as possible. To know what are proven configurations that worked
for someone before is quite valuable as it save time and hassle.

In case anyone is interested I can provide more info about specs of the
computer (i.e. the network card used here was Intel 10G 2P X520).

Best Regards,\
Piotr Krysik