On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:49 -0400, Chris Moller wrote:

> Comments, up to and including "What the hell are you smoking?" welcome.

I'd rather phrase this as "what are we not getting out of ptrace that we
really want".  Answering that will frame how we go about getting it.  (I
admit to not having looked closely at utracer yet, so I'm not sure how
much this was done there.)

Two features I would like to see, more for debugger performance than
anything else, are direct API support for breakpoints and watchpoints.
The former could be implemented as single-stepping entirely within the
kernel and that'd be just fine, although running until illegal
instruction trap would be even better.  Watchpoint support might require
the usual page protection tricks, which is admittedly non-trivial.  Both
of these seem like they slot in reasonably in the existing ptrace
interface, but that's very much a non-expert's opinion.

In terms of correctness it seems like at least gdb still has real
trouble handling multiple threads and processes sanely, but that could
easily be more about gdb's failings than those of ptrace.

- ajax